Dear St. Therese of Lisieux Parish Family,
Our St. Therese of Lisieux Health Ministry has been busy this past year. In addition to some of our regularly scheduled activities, we have added some new and exciting things! As we customarily do at the end of the year, we would like to share some of the highlights of our wonderful St. Therese Health Ministry
- Our Medical Lending Closet is once again providing briefs, durable medical equipment like wheelchairs, shower chairs, and commodes, protein supplements and briefs at no cost to parishioners and other people our community. We served over 200 parishioners/community members who had needs for medical equipment. This does not include the numerous briefs, bed pads, wipes, protein supplements, and “other” supplies we provide.
- The Health Ministry provided 12 educational programs throughout the year. Over 300 people have attended these programs during this year. We have also hosted some new and interesting topics like Mental Health Issues, Drivers Safety Program for Seniors. Senior Citizen Safety Focused Workshop, Captel Hard of Hearing Telephones, and Pre-Planning Funerals.
- New in 2022, we hosted an Educational Table Top Lung Disease Event after all masses on one weekend.
- Participated in the Ministry Fair in November to advertise for more volunteers. Can you help?
- St. Therese hosted the two Flu Vaccine Clinics this year with over 50 people attending these events. This year we included a Drive Up Flu Vaccine event sponsored by Costco, which was awesome. We hope more people take advantage of this convenient way to get their flu vaccines next year! COVID screening kits were given to everyone who participated in this event.
- The Grief Ministry, facilitated by Marilyn Kylmala, continues this ministry’s work by sending sympathy and Christmas cards to people who have lost a loved one. They also host the Mass for Deceased Parishioners in November.
- Heidi Boccomino, our Health Ministry Member and a Social Worker, has hosted Grief Workshops throughout the year for people who have suffered a loss. Heidi is a wonderful speaker and is well received by all those who attend those sessions. She is also a speaker at our Grief Support Group.
- The St. Therese Health Ministry has hosted three 9-week Grief Support groups for parishioners and community throughout the year. This Grief Support group has been extremely well received this past year with at least 25 attendees at each session. Donna Hagg, Paula Breitschuh and others have facilitated this group.
- Sue Verelllen and Donna Ludwig have facilitated two Widow/Widower Social groups throughout the year. Both are well attended!
- Sue Verellen and other Health Ministry members have provided over 250 hours doing respite care, visits, phone calls and texts to parishioners throughout this year.
- Yoga by Karen Reeves and Stretch and Strength Classes were offered this year.
- In addition to American Red Cross, we have partnered with Versiti Blood Company who supplies blood to Henry Ford and Beaumont Hospitals. We held 5 Blood Drives this past year to help with the blood shortage.
- Meals from The Heart meals resumed this year and serves meals for two weeks to parishioners who are ill, or who have had surgery. Mickey Wilson is in charge of this ministry.
- The St. Therese of Lisieux Parish Emergency Preparedness Plan (PRES) was reviewed/revised by the Health Ministry in collaboration with the Administrative Staff.
- Medical educational articles are written by the Health Ministry each week for thechurch bulletin
Please know, this list is not inclusive of all of the countless hours and activities the St. Therese of Lisieux’s Health Ministry participates in on a daily basis. And, none of this would be possible without the help of our 48 Health Ministry members. Each and every one of them donates their talents, time and energy selflessly for the good of our parish community. Not everyone in the Health Ministry is a healthcare worker, but each person contributes in their own way to make our Health Ministry successful.
I continue to be in awe of each and every Health Ministry member for all that they do. I feel so very blessed to be able to work with each of our ministry members, Monsignor Kasza, the wonderful St. Therese of Lisieux Administration and staff, ministries, volunteers and parishioners. It is a privilege to be one of your St. Therese of Lisieux parish nurses and I can’t help but think of what St. Therese of Lisieux said, “May you trust God that you are exactly where you were meant to be.”
God Bless You and Merry Christmas
Parish Nurse 2022